Advocacy in all its forms seeks to ensure that people, particularly those who are most vulnerable in society, are able to: Have their voice heard on issues that are important to them. Defend and safeguard their rights. Have their views and wishes genuinely considered when decisions are being made about their lives.
Hello my name is Debbie Dunwell, I am a trained Patient Advocate, specializing in seniors and palliative issues. I can help if your loved is living in a care facility and you are looking for:
- Someone to advocate for you or your loved one regarding care concerns in a potentially complicated medical system.
- Someone to offer advocacy, support, and information on care standards if you are looking at placing your loved in a care facility, or your loved one is already in a care facility.
- Someone to be your companion, to hear your concerns, assist with meaningful activities, write letters, create a video for loved ones. I can also assist you in organizing your photos, reading, puzzles, help you get started on your journal, do art work with you, assist you in writing your life story, etc.
- Someone to offer non-medical compassionate support as you are holding vigil for a loved one who is at end of life.
- Someone with training and experience in elder care, palliative care and Dementia/Alzheimer’s care, who will advocate for your loved one in a assisted living facility or hospital.